Sunday, October 9, 2011

A discussion about Ekadesi!

                                            Happy belated Ekadesi to ALL!

Ekadesi is really an important day dedicated to our sweet lord VISHNU.
It is believed that observing Ekadesi vratham(fasting) would remove all kinds of  unlimited and abominable sins one has committed in the current birth or previous births.

Acharyas - great spiritual teachers have recommended that if one is unable to observe a complete fast, he/she should at least fast from grains on every Ekadesi. It is said that by fasting on this day and remembering the pastimes of Lord Krishna, all of one’s sins are eradicated and one is purified.

Everyone is aware about the merits of fasting on Ekadesi. This particular blog is basically a discussion forum for each one of us to understand the concepts better. Like I have N no of doubts about ekadesi and people who read this blog might know the answers for the questions am going post below…..and all of us can share whatever little we know about “ekadesi” (in the comments column for guests) & all of us can together try to do a better job from the next ekadesi onwards. You know everyday is a learning day when we are on our way to reach our Sri Hari!

I did read about Ekadesi from various websites & heard a little from elders. I shall collate the information from little that I have heard & read.

Basic Info on Ekadesi :-

~ Ekadasi literally means "the eleventh day."  
~ There are two Ekadasis in a month: on the eleventh day after the new moon and on the eleventh day after the full moon.

History of Ekadesi:-

This is explained in the Padma Puranam (the second amongst the eighteen puranas), which tells us about the beginning of Ekadasi. During the Krita Yuga, also termed the golden age, an asura called Muran harassed both devas and mortals. Unable to bear his tyranny, the devas sought refuge in Shiva. He directed them to approach Vishnu. Vishnu agreed to help the devas and went out to battle with Muran. During the long battle, which lasted one thousand celestial years, Vishnu needed to rest for a while. He entered a beautiful cave called Himavati in Badarikashrama to sleep. Muran wanted to strike Vishnu while he was sleeping. However, Shakti - Vishnu's female energy - emerged out of his body and assumed the form of a beautiful damsel who fought Muran and vanquished him. When Vishnu awoke he was very pleased and named this maiden as “Ekadesi” and granted her a boon. The maiden said, "O Lord, if you are pleased with me and wish to give me a boon, then give me the power to deliver people from the greatest sins if they fast on this day". Vishnu granted her the boon. Thus was born the first ekadasi, which was a Dhanurmasa sukla paksha ekadasi. Sages and devout people have been observing the ekadasi vrata regularly since then. Here, the demon Muran represents the tamasic and rajasic qualities in us. The import of the ekadasi vrata is that one can conquer rajasic and tamasic tendencies in us through fasting. This helps us reach our ultimate destination, Vaikuntha, which is the place or stage of no 'kuntitha' or dullness.

Courtesy given to tamilbrahmins.com for the percept.


How Devotees generally observe this fast:-

~ Some fully fast they even refrain from drinking water (this is called nirjala vrata)
~ Some devotees consume only water or other liquids.
~ Certain devotees have only fruits & milk of course other liquids like juices excluding grains, rice and other cooked recipes.
~ Few ppl who are patients or who cannot observe a strict fast consume Rotis, kichadi excluding rice.
~ I have as well heard of devotees who exclude cooked rice in particular but have dosas, idlies or anything that is not steamed rice.

These are the patterns that I have seen or heard in which people observe ekadesi fast.  Now am not sure which is right or wrong for me to prescribe to you guys (ppl who are new to ekadesi fasting). Which ever or whatever type suits one’s health can be followed but I would strongly recommend fasting on ekadesi (any suitable kind) for our lord as it is a gift for us to get rid of sins, clear our obstacles in our way to reaching Hari & ultimately observing Ekadesi fast shall take us several huge steps nearer to our Sri Hari and what more merit can we ask for?

Very often when Ekadesi fasting is talked about, many have several questions including me. Although we fast, we tend to have doubts about Ekadesi fasting. I got few doubts clarified from certain authentic vaishnavaites but still the info could be wrong. I have penned few FAQs with whatever little I have heard & read about Ekadesi fasting. Please correct me if any of the provided information is wrong.

FAQs
~ Can I offer Neyvethyam(offerings to our lord like fruits, dry fruits, milk, etc) on ekadesi?

Ans: Yes certainly.. one can offer offerings to our lord Hari. (I got it clarified from one of the priests as well in vaishnava temple near by) Hari doesn’t have the need to attain anything. He is the ultimate! Only we have to reach our lord. Only we have sins to be washed-off. HE IS ALL PERFECT! we can offer him our offerings with love, he would accept it. That’s just my view….Even if it is Ekadesi we offer fruits or milk to our Lord.


~ Can WE have the prasadam offered to Hari on Ekadesi? (maha-neivedhyam or whatever)
Ans: what I read on this context- On Ekadasi, everything is cooked for Vishnu, including regular grains and dhal, but it is enjoined that a Vaisnava should not even take visnu-prasadam on Ekadasi.
It is said that a Vaisnava does not accept any eatable that is NOT offered to Lord Vishnu, but on Ekadasi a Vaisnava should not touch even maha-prasadam offered to Vishnu, although such prasadam may be kept for being eaten the next day.
It is strictly forbidden for one to accept any kind of grain on Ekadasi, even if it is offered to Lord Vishnu.

Courtesy given to ISKCONdesiretree.net for the percept. 


~ Can I sleep in the afternoons on ekadesi?

Ans:- Ekadesi just comes for 2 days in a month. It is better not to take a nap during afternoons again there are exceptions when it comes to one’s health conditions.
To add to the point, the primary idea is to think about Sri Hari our Narayanan as much as possible and not waste time on other stuff. Already our many essential hours goes wasted when we are asleep during nights….why to waste time during day esp on the day of Ekadesi. Lets atleast try not to nap if we are fit enough to do so (with his grace)

~ Can I have just Tiffin items excluding rice?

Ans: Again it depends on one’s health condition and even their work pattern like for some might have strenuous physical activity and might require more calories and stuff.
But my personal answer would be- A STRICT “NO” to any grains (rice, wheat, cereals and any kind of pulses)

People observing this particular fast emerge out of this world of sin and march towards salvation.


If you have any health problems or if you are on medication, please consult your doctor before deciding on fasting! You can also opt for a partial fast by avoiding food made of rice the bottom line is that these are practices to remember HIM, stay close to HIM and experience HIM always. He would be pleased with even minimum efforts taken


My Doubts: - I request my dear friends to share what you know about ekadesi so that all who read this piece can be benefited from the valid information provided. Am sure my friends would have a lot of info on Ekadesi. I kindly request you guys to participate. You may as well post your doubts if any & we all can try to find out together.

  1. What about offering prasadam to Gurus? Like for many, Sri Ramanuja achar is guru. Sri Ragavendra swamy of mantralaya is my beloved Guru. Can we offer offerings like milk or fruits to him on ekadesi?

  1. Generally it is always better to offer food to some other living organism before we consume food. Like many draw rangoli(kolam) outside their houses (in order to feed ants and as well to beautify their houses). Since am not capable of drawing rangolis, I go to terrace and offer rice & little dhal to crows & then only consume my food but what about on Ekadesi? My in-laws say its ok to offer rice to crows but I do not know it for sure. Do u guys have any answer to this? (might be a silly question though... but my frnds can’t hit me….well, they don’t know where I am hehe)
  2. What about observing fasting when one has periods? (In my experience, I refrain from having grains) but I hear this question often so thought of seeking all your views.
  3. What if the female is pregnant? Because one will have to have some proportions of everything like proteins, vitamins & stuff….and will have to consume certain amount of necessary calories. what about on Ekadesi?

I don’t recollect many doubts. However just penned whatever came to my mind at present. Lets ALL discuss guys! Let us make our Ekadesi vrathams more perfect to please our lord Hari.



Please note the below Ekadesi calendar for 2011

DAY
MONTH
YEAR
07 (already over)
Oct
2011
23
Oct
2011
06
Nov
2011
21
Nov
2011
06 (Mokshada or Mukkoti or  Vaikunta ekadesi)
Dec
2011
21
Dec
2011

*All dates are as per Indian Standard Time*

8 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thanks for posting this on Ekadasi. I've been wondering about it for a looong time!
    I have a question though: there are some other things that people observe on Ekadashis. For instance, on one particular Ekadasi, one must avoid brushing their teeth. Now is stuff like this absolutely mandatory to follow? Or is grains the main thing to be avoided?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dp..,

    Now thats new... i donno re I have not heard of something like that....My grandparents and most of them in our family observe this fast but we all do brush:-)....in my opinion, nothing is mandatory dear....whatever little we cud do for him, we can do it with love! Whatever is possible in our capacity with his grace...

    But dp...avoiding rice on ekadesi will be a good thing as all scriptures confirms the same....and u know dp SOOOOOOOOOOO many acharyas or saints have talked so greatly about observing ekadesi fast....i mean its nothing like if we do it wrong, it wud be a mistake...NO NO never!!! See my grandma has some imbalance in sugar...so on the day of ekadesi even if she is unable to fast due to her health problems, she'll add urad dal and turmeric pwdr to the rice when she is cooking it, she wud say "Krishnarpanam" and have rice(i mean if it is unavoidable)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal exp on ekadesi:-

    Since my childhood I have been such a lover of food--I wud eat any junk on any day!

    Ekadesi fasting was something which was far away from my list...:-( I always thought I wudn't be able to do it...infact i used to justify saying, "its better to eat and think about perumal a lot rather than skip eating and think about food!!!!" ....i mean this was the scenario before me falling in love with him...in the sense, I just had a very simple "hi" "bye" bakthi back then.....not that now am in some good level...but back then it was Vbad..:-(

    but now.......everything has changed! He changed everything for me:-)

    Though I took it slow on ekadesi! in the beginning, I just avoided rice but had chapati, upma and stuff...then later on avoided any cooked items and had just milkshakes and nuts..infact ppl used to comment," Wow! u r drinking for 3 days i guess!" ya hehe u can imagine the glasses of milkshakes!

    Then later on reduced the ml of milkshakes....

    Now I just have fruits, normal glass of milk, but if am too tired, wud boil vegs like tomatoes, carrots, cabbages and grind it, add little bit of salt & pepper and have it as soup!(in a regular cup)

    but still working on it...maybe with his grace my ekadesi fasting wud become more strict....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just was reminded of one occasion, sorry to drag this on....but just can't stop talking sometimes..

    No guys... the way HE tests us sometimes....Oh my!!!

    Wud share this one exp and then will SHUT my mouth for today(promise!!!!!!) pls pls bear with me know.....

    Once I had been to Tirupati...that particular trip was v spl bcas I wanted to ask him, "I want to love u more...keep me attracted..keep me seduced! keep me with u!"

    We started Vearly from chennai..reached thirumalai at 10 am..Since avoiding food was way toooooooooo difficult for me I promised him that I wud have anything solid only after taking his darshan.... so when we started i just had a cup of coffee with everyone...

    everyone stopped for breakfast, I sat in my vehicle & kept thinking about him...then after reaching thirupati again controlled myself and stayed away from snacks..! Then we were all in q...oh my God! nearly for 2 hrs we got stuck in one of the cells in tirupati..at that time all of a sudden, ppl started distributing yummy curd rice for ppl in q....oh my! I have been to Tirupati several times but have never seen food being distributed while in q....i mean if u have climbed up as "padhayatra" then ppl give u food & milk i guess...but for normal darshan, i don't think so....I mean, anadhaanam(free food) is separate, u gotto take coupn go to that place and have the food i guess....but no one has ever distributed food while in Q!!!!! if that was the practice, imagine the situation...how many lakhs of ppl stand in q in a day, & how can everyday free food can be distributed like that!!!!! ok anyway the moment food was being distributed while waiting in q, ppl rushed to have it...I was like..."what r u doing to me??" It was almost 3pm...That was the first day ever in my life I had done somthink like that...just a cup of coffee till 3pm!!! that too me!!!! never that had happnd before!.....it was like i almost fainted at the sight of food.....ppl kept forcing me to have....I said "no!" just with his grace! .........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had failed in such tests before ya am such an addict to food! but that day since I really wanted & still want to love him more & more & more....I thought ok "Whatever be it am not touching food until I see him & ask him what I wanted to ask!"

    Then finally the cell was opened we got to see him only by 4.30 to 4.45 pm......but to my surprise, the q was moving so close to him....that doesn't happen often again in tirupati...I was sooooooooooo nervous i donno soooooooo emotional that time....I cud only cry.....infact i had practiced soooooooo much while in q...but everything in vain!!!! Just kept crying......then while moving away from him, I just stopped, stopping the entire crowd in front of me.....i cudnt just move away from him.....i donno never cried like that before! then that volunteer just din't even touch me to push me away.....I just stood there & the rest of q kept moving...other volunteers shouted at this one volunteer to push me away.....but nothing happnd! I just stood there asked whatever I wanted to.....infact asked him something which not in list until then..i said, "Just marry me... i donno even if it takes several births....just marry me once!" I cried ....just cudn't part away from him.....then finally i came out.....i stood there for almost like 10 mins....which is unbelievable in tirupati!!!!!!!!!!! I mean even now I can't believe it happened!!!!!!! after coming ppl were shocked to see me...they were searching for me outside....all had come out long back they din't even assume I was in:-) they were puzzled looking at my face...i said nothing & smiled....then after all that, when we got to hotel at 6pm, I din't feel like touching the food......I was soooooo excited, my heart was filled with overflowing joy, love ecstasy......then anyway had food:-)

    I mean.....that day was soooooooooooo very beautiful.....He made it so spl! Whatever little I feel for him, its only HIS grace...Whatever little love this heart holds for him, came from HIM only...nothing belongs to me!!!!!! Just keep asking for more love.....donno when HE'll bless me with more love & deep bakthi!!!! but wud keep nagging him for it with his grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot say anything more than a very big wow!!! LUEN

      Delete
  6. oh my god! after seeing the length of my comments, i feel so guilty..........so sorry guys:-((((((( so sorry to hold u back like this!!! just woke up early & u guys are being punished hehehehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete